This is absolutely all time favorite chicken enchiladas recipes, Really easy to make, totally customizable with your favorite fillings, and made with the hands-down best homemade enchilada sauce!
I’m not sure if there is a more beloved Mexican recipe my family loves more than these chicken enchiladas, this easy chicken enchilada recipe is extremely flexible when it comes to ingredients. So feel free to get creative and customize your chicken enchiladas however you like! In general, you will need:
- Chicken: I typically just use diced boneless skinless chicken breasts. But feel free to use pre-cooked chicken (such as a shredded rotisserie or any leftover baked chicken) if you would like to save time.
- Onion and diced green chiles: Which we will add to the filling for seasoning.
- Beans: Black beans, pinto beans, white beans, or lentils would all work great here.
- Tortillas: Corn tortillas are traditional in enchiladas, but I typically use flour tortillas since they are much easier to roll. Any of your favorite tortillas will work though.
- Cheese: I like to use either Pepper Jack or Mexican-blend shredded cheese for these enchiladas. But cheddar, Monterrey Jack, or other shredded cheeses would also do.
- Toppings: Chopped fresh cilantro, sliced avocado, diced red onion, sour cream, crumbled cotija, or whatever else sounds good! When it comes to enchilada toppings, the more the merrier.